Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Traditional Scottish Meal

Yup, you probably guessed it. I had my very first real Scottish meal tonight. I came home and was boiling up some broccoli and Gordon asked me if I have ever eaten Haggis before. He and the people from the flat next door were cooking some up and they let me have some. My impressions of this exquisite cuisine? Mushy. I don't mind the taste as much, just the texture grosses me out. I could stand to eat a few bites but after that, I had to throw it out. Gordon laughed, saying that you have to have an acquired taste to like it. I have been warned before that I wouldn't like it, but I had to try it for myself. And I'm glad I did. I'm definitely not afraid to try new things.

I have a traveling buddy for my spring break now! Woo Hoo! Her name is Lindsay and she is from the state of New York. She was one of the first people that I met here during orientation. I have my Celtic tutorial with her. So, I am in the midst of making plans to travel with her for 3 weeks. :) We are thinking Greece for a part of it, and possibly Denmark? Not sure yet. We just decided this today. I am sure whatever we do will be wonderful. I am really looking forward to it. :D

This Saturday Carrie, Charlie and I (possibly Janene) are going to Edinburgh for the day. A lot of the group that I made friends with are going to the highlands this weekend with the International Student Society to stay overnight in a castle. They sold out of tickets really fast for this trip, so I don't get to go. So the three of us made it a point to get out and do something this weekend. Charlie has gone to Edinburgh already and he plans on showing us the cafe where JK Rowling began writing the Harry Potter Series. Jealous much? :P Charlie and I also talked about going on the Harry Potter train ride, but that doesn't start until mid-May. :)

In Celtic today we were given an assignment for next Thursday. We are going to be doing some role playing. We had the choice to be a trader or a monk. I chose to be a monk. I even get a name. :) I am Diarmait, the steward of the monastery. I am in charge of looking after the guests. Should be fun. :P Not everyone got a part where they got to have a name. I feel special. Yay! Yesterday in my rendering class at the GSA, we got to draw our model using pencil. I think this is by far my favorite class. I love drawing and I am learning so much and have already improved. Yesterday Debra used the words, "Excellent", "You learn so quickly", "It's so accurate", and "You have mastered this technique". That feels really good to hear that from a teacher that instructs some of the best art students in the UK. :) You can say that I was pretty proud of myself after that. I was able to develop two of my pictures yesterday in photography class. I think they turned out really well. I tried taking pictures of the pictures, but that doesn't work so well. Doesn't do the actual picture any justice.

Sabrina answered our flat door tonight and a girl gave her a free mix cd from a club and the cd is actually pretty good. Good club dancing music that's for sure. I'm enjoying myself listening to this. There are 29 songs that are about 1 1/2 minutes long each. :) Hooray for random people that hand out music.

Oh shoot, one more thing before I get going. There was a guy with a microphone that came up to Annie and I on Byre's Road today asking us what we think about YouTube. I was scared out of my mind. He didn't have a camera or anything. It was weird. I was speechless. He was right up in my face, I kept trying to back away but he just kept getting closer. I don't think I could ever do what he does. Those people are fricken psycho.

Well, I guess that's all that I really have time to write about now. I have an essay for Celtic due on Tuesday and I need to get at it.

Ta!
Ashley

No comments: