Wednesday, May 13, 2009

..Where Was I?

Well since you've all been so good at patiently waiting, I'm going to add pictures with my blogs to go along with the stories.

Berlin Day 6

The three of us woke up early in the morning and took a quick train to the main train station and hopped on a train there to take us to Wittenburg where we would meet up with Regina and her husband. Regina is Lindsay's mom's best friend from college who has dual citizenship in Germany and the US. They showed us around the City and had all sorts of historical facts for us including Wittenburg being the village where Martin Luther preached and lived.

Street Images of Wittenburg:
Regina's husband bought us chocolate liquors that I didn't really like.. and he kind of looked at me funny when I said "No thanks" after he offered me another one. I had a hard time choking back the first one. It was extremely flavourful, that's for sure. We went into St. Marien's Church and then down to Schlosskirche Church Castle, the church of Martin Luther:

On our way to the castle church, there was a rendezvous going on in the middle of town and it immediately reminded me of the Lingwens and brought a smile to my face. :)

After they were done showing us around Wittenburg, they took us on about a 45 minute drive to the little village of Worlitz, where they live. We stopped at their house first... which is absolutely gorgeous and I hope that when I own a home someday that it will look like their's... and we had coffee and good ol' fashioned Girl Scout Cookies. (Thin mints, to be exact). :P We went on a walk around Worlitz park for a good couple of hours. Worlitz is a very beautiful city. I won't post pictures of it on here because quite frankly, I don't know if I can choose just a couple of them. I'll post the links to my Facebook albums at the end of this post so you can see these pictures along with many others. It was just nice to be able to take a relaxing stroll in a park. Apparantely peacocks are wild animals in Worlitz. We saw a couple along our walk. Beautiful birds, really. We had coffee and cake at a cute little cafe after our walk... my piece of cake was absolutely delicious! I don't think I've ever had something that tasted so good in my life. I may be exaggerating a wee bit, but it was good and my mouth is watering at just the thought. mmm....

Anyway, We went back to their house for a few minutes and just had a good craic over some more cookies and a glass of water. It was in the early evening about this time, and we drove to another little village outside of Worlitz for a very nice sitdown dinner. The three of us actually had gotten the same meal Sauerbraaten and a Kostriker, a dark German beir (probably my favorite alcoholic drink that I've had all semester). I'm craving both of those now too. Darnit! After dinner, they drove us back to Berlin on the Autobahn, which only took about an hour and a half to get there because there are no speed limits on the Autobahn. Let's just say that at one point I looked up at the spedometer and it was at 210km per hour. I'm not really sure how fast that was, but I don't really think I want to know either. Sidenote: we had to make a pitstop on the way back because my bladder was about to burst. :P Well that pretty much sums up our sidetrip from Berlin that day. I think that might have been one of my favorite days of the trip.

Berlin Day 7

There was a Marathon that went on in the morning. The streets were jam-packed with runners and their fans. We spent most of our day at the Dutch History Museum.. where I saw Albrecht Durer's "Knight, Death and the Devil" I geeked out a bit at the sight of it. I even had my picture taken with it. We then just kind of walked around Alexanderplatz and ate Doner for a late lunch/early supper. It was very spicy, but very good. Kind of like a Gyro, but better. Later we met one of Lindsay's friends who lives in Berlin at the Alexa Mall and had a cup of coffee at Starbucks. When we got back to the hostel we packed to get ready to leave bright and early for our plane to Budapest.

Alright, well I think this is all that I can handle for the moment. I'm knackered and am going to hit the sack for a bit... I've been up for 13 hours on 3 hours of sleep. :P

Cheers. xxx

Facebook Albums:

Berlin

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2042734&id=215700014&l=0435a68269

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2042735&id=215700014&l=4189b62102

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2042737&id=215700014&l=6aab08249a

Wittenburg and Worlitz

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2042739&id=215700014&l=34f7364cb7

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2042741&id=215700014&l=eee4568426


No comments: