Friday, January 16, 2009

Bagpipes and Kilts

Take a look at the website for the National Piping Centre. This is in the city center of Glasgow, which I found out that is only about a 20 minute walk from MSSV. That will save me a lot of money to not have to use the underground to get there. Also, the Glasgow School of Art is just a couple of blocks from there. I love that I'm starting to find my way around this place!

As I was looking at the website I noticed that my instructor was on there and there is a link to his band's website. Have a look at that as well. Found out that he not only plays the bagpipes but the flute as well, he and I had a discussion about that because I also played. Anyways his name is Finlay MacDonald. His hair is amazing. He has a side Mohawk. When anyone that knows him and is talking about him, they always put their hand on their head to gesture the famous hairdo. lol. I noticed this last night when we were all at a pub called The Primary last night. I laughed every time someone did that. I don't think they realize that they do it.

The National Piping Centre:
http://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/

The Finlay MacDonald Band:
http://www.finlaymacdonaldband.com/

Tomorrow I am off to Edinburgh with a huge group of people from the International Student Society. Should be a lot of fun!

Here are my own pictures that I took of the Piping Centre

My Friend Liane and I in front of the Piping Centre... I do love Glasgow, but I hate what it does to my bangs! Oh well!


The Piping Centre


There are a few stained glass windows in the Piping Centre. This one, Finlay explained to us that it represents the Scottish Dance called Ceilidh. Not sure if he was joking or not because he said it looks like a few of the objects in it were toppled over from a long night of drinking. :P

This is the art museum on the other side of the Uni. It is free and can you believe it? I still have yet to go there!


The Main building of the Uni at night. Apologize for it being blurry. I was kind of doing this while walking. My friend Charlie was upset that he forgot his camera when we were walking by and then later that night he told me that he forgot that he put his camera in his backpack, so he did in fact have it with him at the time.

2 comments:

C– said...

just wanna let you know I'm reading your blog and am very jealous! Also, I want more pictures! (I really like the ones you have up thus far.)

Catherine said...

Hey Ashley, I love your photos! I can't believe you get bagpipe lessons for a class. Scotland looks beautiful. Have fun! Catherine