Thursday, January 8, 2009

So it begins...

So, I originally wrote this on the 7th, but am posting it today... I'll try to keep you all updated more, now that I found a place with free WiFi and some schools in the Reception area at Murano Street.

Well everyone, the web address is correct. Ashley is in fact, in Scotland. First off, for anyone that wants to mail me anything here is my address:

Ashley Nandory
MSSV
Lomond House
6 Caithness ST
F3
Glasgow
G20 7SB

MSSV is an abbreviation for Murano Street Student Village, where I am staying obviously. I am on the third floor of Lomond House 6 right across the street from the reception desk, which I have been to about oh, 8 times since I got here less than 24 hours ago. I hope I don't start to annoy them with all of my questions. Jet lag did not hit me. :D Or maybe it did. I slept from 10pm to 3am then 5am to 10am. Sounds like a normal day in the life of Ashley to me. I haven't been able to explore much yet, because I've been waiting for my internet connection to be hooked up in my room. Apparently before Christmas there were some computer viruses going around campus and they shut off all the Internet connections to every room. Masterpoint, that is. AKA *6 on my phone.

Everyone's probably curious as to what my first meal in Scotland was, considering I do love food. Well, it was the Brown Sugar Cinnamoniness of Pop Tarts... MMmmmMM. I bought them at the airport in Chicago. Also, I bought a bottle of water for $2.93, which was before I realized that I would be going through security again. The line was long, so I had time to chug most of it.

Speaking of security. I can tell you now that I'm grateful of the people at the Minneapolis airport. Luke took me to the airport on Monday and Mary and Jamison both told me they thought he would be able to go through security with his Military ID. When we asked the guy at the check-in, he said that the traveler needed to be in the military to do so. After struggling to find mine, I was saddened by the thought that he would not be going through with me. After the guy checked my baggage, he looked at Luke and said, "Give me your ID." He let Luke go through on a "Priority AAccess" ticket! Oh, and I was the "chosen one" to go through extra screening. It really didn't matter I was just too excited at this point to care. They let Luke go through, so I sacrificed a little of my time for them. FYI Kate, the TGI Fridays at the airport doesn't have pot stickers either. I was the very last person to get on the plane. They even called my name on the intercom to board. Everyone knows that I am never late for anything. I guess a part of me just didn't want to leave.

Everything finally hit me once I got on the plane and arrived in Chicago. That first hour of being completely by myself, and becoming more independent. My flight was delayed to leave at 8:50 instead of 7:35, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Carrie and I were one of the last to board that plane as well. When I got on the plane, there was a guy in my seat. I asked him if he was assigned to that seat as well, he showed me his ticket and there you have it. There were two people assigned to seat 29C. There was no way that I was going to be sitting on this guy's lap for 7 hours and 15 minutes. I checked with the flight attendants, and they found another seat for me while I had a chat with the guy that stole my seat. They were going to put me in the very last row of the plane, but when I got there another flight attendant asked me if I would be so kind as to move to another seat so another person, who was dreadfully sick, could be by the lavatory. I moved to my final destination at seat 42E, in the middle, right next to an older couple who were missionaries from Colorado Springs. The lady said it was very nice of me to move so the lady that was sick could be in the aisle seat. She also told me she was just plain old happy that she wouldn't have to sit by her. I had to laugh. The guy on my left was nice, but got on my nerves after a while. As soon as I was about to fall asleep he'd start clickign the little thing that held up his table. I wanted to give him the evil eye so bad. He quit after about an hour and I was able to get maybe 2 hours of sleep.

The airport at Amsterdam scared me. The place was really cool looking, reminded me of the Bauhaus style. The people there seemed stuck-up, overly confident, and self-absorbed, if you will. Usually everywhere you go you'll get a smile or something from someone that walks by, nothing. There were a lot of people there that looked like my sculpture teacher, Lars, who is from Denmark. *Shivers* It was kind of cool though, we had to ride a bus out to where our plane was on the airport grounds. It was like we were famous rockstars. I put my sunglasses on, turned around, and waved goodbye to my adoring fans as I boarded my plane.

Eek. At this point I am not in Scotland, my home for the next 5 months. I met a really nice guy at the airport by the name of Andrew who gave me his information if I needed any help. I must have looked like a lost puppy and he came to my rescue and helped me find out where I needed to go. That was nice of him to help. I got in a Taxi to take me to the University and the driver showed me some cool points along the way. When I asked him what his favorite thing about Scotland was he said, without hesitation, the people. I think I'm going to like this place. I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't been willing to help me or hasn't smiled at me. I like it when people smile, it makes me fell at home. Oh, and this 24 hour clock thing is going to take a while to get used to.

That's about it for now, I have orientation all day tomorrow and Friday. So, Anywho... ;)

Love you and miss you all,
Ashley

P.S. As promised, I did not read the book until after I got to Chicago.... Bailey... You all crack me up.

6 comments:

katieshannon138 said...

I am your first official follower!!! OR stalker, as i like to call it! I plan on logging in all the time, so you had better keep updating everyone. I am so sorry i didn't get to say goodbye before you left! I'll miss you tons! I hope you have the time of you life!

Kate

PS. i heard that they have officially retired the pot stickers. What a shame!

Cody said...

I'm so glad everything went well for you and you got to Scotland safely! I hope you have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures. It's so awesome that you're getting the chance to study abroad in a kick ass country! I HOPE I can find a way to make it work to visit you when Bailey comes over. Looking forward to reading your blog EVERYDAY!!! Enjoy your time over there and don't forget to try all kinds of beer and liquor (after all, that's what I'd do ;) )

mamanandory said...

Hiya! Whack! whack! ewaYo!

Unknown said...

Ashley!, I didn't know you were going to Scotland! That's great!. I'm pretty sure you'll have a wonderful time over there. Hope you keep us updated here in this blog with pictures and everything!.
Enjoy Scotland!

Saraschaefer13 said...

Hello!!! I hope you are having tons of fun so far!!! I can't wait to here more! Good Luck and be safe!!!

Sara.

pops said...

hi ashweed goodmorning from grandpa